Monday, September 28, 2009

Success for St. Baldrick's

Last week, after many months of planning, my dear husband saw his vision come together to raise funds for kids cancer research. The event in Santa Monica raised $13,000 to go to the St. Baldrick's Foundation. It was a such an emotional day filled with smiles, tears, laughter, music and many stories of cancer battles lost and won. There were 38 men, women and children who came out to show their support through giving up their hair. It was a day that I cherish & will not soon forget.

My own head was shaved after exceeding my $3,000 goal through donations from amazing friends, family and people just passing by the event. What a gift it has been to participate in this effort bringing awareness and money to the needs of so many children with cancer. I have been truly blessed by this experience and all the support that has been given by the small community of people in our lives.

My littlest miss wasn't thrilled with my decision to remove my hair. She cried as the shears ran across my head and the brown locks fell, but I gave her a small offering of my hair in a ponytail which she loves and keeps on her nightstand. Even though my head looks "like a man" in her eyes, she is accepting the new hair"less" style and realizing that I'm her mama no matter what. It is such a great reminder, not only to my children but also to myself that we are not made up of what we may appear to be on the outside. A lesson in acceptance of our differences is a lesson deeper in love.

Thank you so very much for all the support, donations and encouraging words. You are a gift!

xoxo

9 comments:

Jenn Kirk said...

Very sweet message, Aubrei. I'm happy to hear you exceeded your goal and to think of the children that will benefit from your efforts.

miyo b. said...

you're amazing and beautiful - inside and out.

~j~ said...

I love everything about this day that is now another beautiful chapter in your book of life. It was such a privilege to watch you and the Mr. give of yourselves so lovingly, but of course you would!
We love you both! and Congrats on raising a good chunk o change!!
xo
love j and d

KATEE said...

beautiful.
incredible.
where's the kleenex!
oh Aubrei!!!

xoxo.

much love & many hugs.

Jeanette said...

Your beauty shines so brightly. Thank you for your willingness to serve and sacrifice. You are amazing. Congratulations on raising the much needed funds!!

Cristine said...

Beautiful post Aubrei...the written words and the faces filled with such love for the cause! You and Matt are adorable with or without hair.

Becky said...

For some reason I thought you were fundraising for a March shave on St. Paddy's.

This is so great -- you are so great.

shelly said...

so sweet. thank you for your caring giving heart. you look amazing.

joyfulgirl said...

thank you all for the kind words. and keep praying for little Daisy!